Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Great recipe turned bad, then good, then great.

Chex mix is the perfect snack for Christmas time. I've never actually made this dish, but I hear about people making it, then giving it as gifts. I found this recipe for Chex Mix in the crockpot.  (I love this woman's blog- she did a meal a day in the crock pot for a year.)  Yet, I forgot the whole timer aspect of the recipe.  Thus, I got burnt chex mix. Which, by the way, blows.  And makes your apartment smell heinous.  
Scary stuff in the making. 
But, I kept trucking.  I knew I wanted to make some Chex Mix for my cousin, Brandon, for Christmas. He is overseas serving in the military.  Here's when he was about to go on leave last Spring. He looks sooo much like a Barker.
Ain't we cute? Maddie's eyes are sooo blue here!
Back to the terrible turnout of the Chex mix. Welp, I made it again. The regular way- with the stove and some yum yum ingredients.  
Yummmyyy!
Definitely made the apartment smell delicious. 
Wishing I had two ovens today.  
The three boxes I sent Brandon!
Fudge, Toffee and pretzel Cookies and chex mix

I put in about...
3 cups of rice chex cereal, 1/2 cup of salted peanuts, 1/2 not salted nuts, 1 cup of classic pretzels, 1 cup of sticks pretzels, 6 T butter, 2 T Worcestershire sauce, 1.5 t seasoned salt - I used Lawrys, 1.5 t onion powder.  

Heat oven to 250. In large bow, mix dry ingredients (nuts, cereal, peanuts). In ungreased pan, melt butter in oven.  Stir in seasonings.  Put dry mix into pan and stir all ingredients together until the pretzels, peanuts and cereal is coated.  Bake for an hour, stirring occasionally.  The chex mix recipe calls for corn and wheat chex...I chose only rice. Turned out great! 

 I will be posting the recipe for the toffe & pretzel peanut butter cookies soon.  I used the real simple recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment